In 2005 the entire Los Angeles County had 745 fatalities from 86,582 injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents. Most of the automobile accidents in Woodland Hills occur on Fridays and Saturdays. More car accidents occur in December, while more deaths occur in August.
Moreover according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, in the year of 2013, in California, there were 2,772 fatal crashes, 3,000 of which resulted in deaths. This is approximately 7.8 deaths per 100,000 people that live in California.
The number of fatal motor vehicle crashes in the United States in 2013 was 30,057, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 32,719 of which resulted in deaths. In other words, 10.3 deaths occur from motor vehicle accidents per 100,000 people in the United States.
As evident from the statistics, many people get injured and even die as a result of countless car accidents in Woodland Hills, California. This is why hiring an aggressive personal injury attorney such as Sasha Bojat, Esq. is an extremely important task in order to maximize the damages you can recover after being involved in a car accident.
HOW TO PREVAIL IN CAR ACCIDENT CASE
In order to prevail in a car accident case in Woodland Hills, the injured party must prove that the other party(s) was at fault, or at least partially at fault for the damages suffered. Specifically, the injured party must prove that it was the negligence of the other party that caused inures to the injured party. To prove negligence in California, the injured party must be able to prove the following elements:
- The defendant had a duty to commit the act or refrain from committing an act,
- The defendant breached this duty by acting below the standard of care of a reasonable prudent person under the circumstances,
- The defendants breach caused plaintiff’s injuries, and
- The defendant suffered damages, such as economic, non economic or even punitive injuries.
A rear-end car accident would be one of the examples of negligence. If one driver, driver A, rear ends another driver, driver B, as a result of driving at a high speed for the conditions or over the permitted speed limit, then driver A was negligent and will thus be liable for the damages caused to driver B.
HOW TO RECOVER DAMAGES IN CAR ACCIDENT CASES
Most car accidents result in injuries, which range anywhere from soft tissue injuries to more severe ones which require surgeries and at times amputations or even death. Receiving proper treatment for the injuries is one of the most important parts of being in a car accident. But in order to receive proper treatment, the damages suffered must be adequate to cover the expenses of medical treatment. This raises the following question, what damages can you recover from a car accident in Woodland Hills?
Compensatory Damages in Car Accidents
If injured in a car accident, the injured party car recover compensatory damages which resulted from the car accident. Such compensatory damages are Special Damages and General Damages.
- Special Damages include economic losses such as loss of earnings, property damage and medical expenses. In other words, if injured in a car accident, you may recover the money you were not able to earn but you could have earned if the accident did not occur. In addition, you may recover any damage to your property, such as damage to your car caused by the accident, as well as any medical expenses that were caused by the accident (hospital bills, chiropractor bills, orthopedic surgeon bills, pain management specialist bills, neurologist bills, radiological study bills, etc.)
- General Damages include non economic damages such as pain and suffering an emotional distress. In other words, in addition to recovering special damages the party injured by the car accident may be financially compensated for suffering pain and emotional distress which was caused by the car accident.
PUNITIVE DAMAGES IN CAR ACCIDENTS
The purpose of punitive damages are to punish a defendant and to deter similar acts in the future. However, punitive damages may not be awarded to compensate a plaintiff, although a plaintiff would be the one receiving the punitive damages from the defendant.
In car accident cases, punitive damages are rarely awarded, unless the defendant acted in bad faith or ill will. For example, the injured party may recover punitive damages from the defendant if the defendant was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs at the time of the subject accident. Such scenario would give rise to a claim for punitive damages, which would allow the plaintiff to recover damages up to 10 times higher than the compensatory damages recovered.
HOW WOODLAND HILLS ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN HELP
If you hire Woodland Hills Accident Lawyer Sasha Bojat, Esq. he will help you maximize on the amount of damages you can recover. He will conduct a proper investigation of the accident and gather all necessary evidence to support your claim, such as police reports, testimonies from witnesses, medical bills, photographs, and other relevant evidence. Your lawyer will fight for your right during every step of the way. Mr. Bojat prides himself in being directly involved with his clients and directly dealing with them and not through his staff as most personal injury lawyers do. This hands on approach will improve your chances of getting a higher settlement as Mr. Bojat will communicate to the insurance adjusters during every step of the way.
If the insurance company refuses to settle the case or if their offer is not acceptable to you, then a lawsuit will need to be filed. In that case, you certainly want Woodland Hills Accident Lawyer Mr. Sasha Bojat to represent you, as his previous experience in the Personal Injury field and his aggressive tactics combined with his winning attitude will be extremely useful in obtaining a higher settlement or verdict for you.